Degauss Problem

Ben Avery 13:48 26 Aug 03

G'day

I've been asked to reinstall Windows 98SE on a PC which was not logging on properly and according to the owner was in need of a lot of work.

I believe many programs, screensavers, games etc which have been downloaded may have caused half of the problems but hey, each to their own.

The problem is I had no drivers for the display adapter and only had 1 CD-ROM which was for the CreativePCI Soundblaster Card.

I ran Belarc Advisor on the PC before reinstalling Win98SE and Belarc informs me the Display is as Follows:

*SiS 6326 [Display Adapter]

*Targa VL770FS [Monitor] (15.2"vis, May 2003)

So here's the problem. I've downloaded a Zip file for the SiS 6326 Adapter for Win9x and installed it. It correctly gave me the options for better resolution (I set it to "1024x768" which it was running ok on before) and the Colour to "16Bit".

Unfortunately, the screen has waves running up it constantly and only clears with a manual degauss. This would be ok if it didn't start up again withing a very short period of time.

Is it the SiS drivers which are wrong or the Monitors?

She still has the CD which came with the monitor as 2 of the same monitor were bought and so I have drivers for it here.

What to do now?

BA

graham√ 13:53 26 Aug 03

Could it be the refresh rate needs changing?

Ben Avery 14:02 26 Aug 03

Refresjh rate has been set to 60hz as that's what the other monitor is successfully running on.

No change if you choose Optimal either.

BA

Djohn 14:23 26 Aug 03

Hi Ben, 60hz seems a bit on the low side, Have you tried drooping the resolution to 800x600 and a refresh of 75hz? it may help, and if it does, then at least it will confirm if the low refresh is the culprit. j.

sil_ver 14:31 26 Aug 03

Have you tried a different monitor as my feeling is, if the problem goes away with a degauss then I can't see a problem with the graphics card, it seems more like interferance from some other source possible the computer PSU then again maybe the monitor is faulty. 60hz is a bit low as you get flicker, try 70-75hz if the monitor will accept it.

Ben Avery 14:33 26 Aug 03

as mentioned - I have another PC running the same monitor at 1068x768 with 60Hz refresh rate.

Have tried changing refresh rate on the PC to 70Hz, 75Hz and 85Hz with 800x600 resolution and things looked better - other than the poor resolution!

I have now swapped back to 1068x768 and instead of choosing "Optimal" noticed the "Adapter Default" and have selected that. Seems ok at the moment so I'll see how it goes.

I think the adater default for this monitor is 85Hz

Cheers Djohn

BA

sil_ver 14:51 26 Aug 03

Have you got the latest driver for the monitor?

alcudia 14:53 26 Aug 03

I had a similar problem here. 28 identical (XP) pc's with identical monitors. One had a similar problem to yours, until I changed the refresh rate. ( had to drop it) No idea what caused it, but it shows that identical equipment can behave differently. Also, like you, this happened after a reformat. I actually reformated every one of them but only had the problem on this one machine.

Ben Avery 14:56 26 Aug 03

May 2003 I believe so pretty new yeah?

Can't find most recent driver for SiS 6326 adapter though.

Alcudia

Strange huh?!

BA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5