Defragmenting and XP

InCog 12:38 29 Aug 03

What's the best (quickest) way to defragment the hard drive using XP Pro? I used to do it in safe mode with Me but there doesn't seem to be a safe mode option with XP.

Chegs ® 12:40 29 Aug 03

Press F8 during bootup allows you to start in safemode.

spikeychris 12:41 29 Aug 03

There is a safe mode. Hit F8 whilst booting up, however you don't need to with XP it's not the same as 9X and ME it will defrag with anti virus etc running.

Chris

sil_ver 12:42 29 Aug 03

I think there is a safe mode, not sure which F key, probably F8 on startup.

Djohn 12:42 29 Aug 03

Try it in normal mode, should work fine. I do mine each week, don't even shut anything down, takes approx. 6 minutes, 8, if I leave AVG running. j.

defrag and quick dont really belong in the same sentence but the Xp defrag program is much improved over previous incarnations so just run it normally from the start menu, it will take time the first time but if you make a habit of doing it regularly then it will get quicker.

obviously if you turn off your virus scanner etc it will be a little quicker , the best advice is just to schedule it to run while you are tucked up in bed for the night

InCog 13:26 29 Aug 03

Thanks to you all - I'll try the F8 option.

InCog 13:56 29 Aug 03

Spoke too soon! I had assumed the couple of hours or so that it took to defrag the hdd was because I wasn't running safe mode. So tried it in safe mode. Analysis said that 7% of the drive was fragmented and didn't need defragging but I said defrag anyway. After 15 mins. it had done just 2% of the drive...I think something is wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…