DEFRAGMENTING WINDOWS XP

Radiofan 12:18 10 Mar 05

Why is defrag taking so long? I left it to chug away overnight - over six hours - and when I looked this morning it was 47% into Compressing Files. Is this anything to do with the dreaded Service Pack 2 which, I believe is responsible for dragging boot up out for several minutes. Or is it just my machine? Any advice (not too technical please!) would be welcome.

EdFrench 12:45 10 Mar 05

The time defrag takes is variable, depending on your overall configuration - size (and number, depending on scan preferences)of hard drives, the number of software aplications etc.
You may also have set the defrag utility to check the surface of your disk for bad sectors.
If you have all of the above then it would take a long time to defrag.
It is also a good idea to stop any unecessary srvices or themes before defragging as this can cause restarts or delays.

Jackcoms 13:09 10 Mar 05

I use XP and have a 40gb HDD and it takes about 5 or 6 minutes.

Try disabling your AV software to speed thing up.

realist 13:13 10 Mar 05

You could try this solution:

1.Save any information in any open applications. 2.Close all open programs. 3.Turn off any active screensavers. 4.Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL. A Close Program box will appear, select any program except for "Explorer" and "Systray" and click on End Task. 5.Repeat Step 4. until all programs except "Explorer" and "Systray" are closed. 6. Run Defragmenter. After it's finished reboot your computer. Also works with Scandisk

You could also try installing the free "Bigfix" utility which can identify and help you with problems like this when they happen.

Buchan 35 13:40 10 Mar 05

Like Jackcoms, I`ve got XP SP2, 40G HDD and it only takes anything up to 5 minutes. Another help would be to do a Disc Cleanup before Defrag.

VoG II 13:46 10 Mar 05

Defrag compressing files???

Are you sure you don't mean Disk Cleanup click here

rawprawn 14:06 10 Mar 05

I think he means Compacting, (part of the operation)

Stuartli 14:22 10 Mar 05

I use Bigfix to inform me where there are new updates for Windows, applications and programs.....

Stuartli 14:23 10 Mar 05

My XP Pro system runs a defrag in about 12-15 minutes on a 60GB hard drive after closing down anything that is running.

Radiofan 15:35 10 Mar 05

Thanks for all the tips - I had forgotten about shutting down the Screen Saver and realist's other advice is most helpful. Yes, I did mean Compacting and not Compressing! I will have another go and report back!

Rogerfredo 16:56 10 Mar 05

Defrag time can also be excessive if you have insufficient space on your hard drive to temporarily relocate the fragments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…