Defragmenting problem.

Jim3000 mk2 00:33 20 Feb 03

Help! Every time I try to defrag my hard drive in Windows 98, it keeps on crashing and locking up the PC, only resolved by switching off from the mains. I'm no real PC expert so can anyone suggest any simple solutions to the problem, for the sake of my poor, fragmenting hard drive!

Jim

DieSse 00:47 20 Feb 03

You could try running it with the system in Safe Mode.

It really shouldn't crash the system though - this may be a symptom of a problem with the hard drive. Try running Scandisk, with the "Thorough" option ticked, first, to check out the drive.

Jim3000 mk2 01:14 20 Feb 03

ScanDisk also appears to be locking up, however unlike the Defrag problem, I can end the task from program manager. Any other suggestions?

DieSse 01:33 20 Feb 03

Go to the HDD manufactures site, and download their test program - then you can run a test to see if there is a problem with the HDD.

Migwell 03:57 20 Feb 03

While using 98 & ME I had the same problems a time or two.

The only way I could find to get over it was to Format and reinstall every thing from scratch. that sorted it out!

hearts 04:40 20 Feb 03

I HAVE WINDOWS 98 AS WELL I USE EXECUTIVE SOFTWARE DISKKEEPER THIS IS GREAT A LOT FASTER THAN THE DEFRAGING WITHIN WINDOWS TRY THIS NEVER LET ME DOWN.

genghis 07:02 20 Feb 03

I don't understand why anyone would want to use Microsoft's defrag.Diskeeper is far superior and so much faster.

Andsome 08:41 20 Feb 03

Where is diskeeper to be found?

cracker23 10:35 20 Feb 03

you can download the free version "diskeeper lite" from the download section on this site-it's very good

beeuuem 12:53 20 Feb 03

To get Diskeeper lite follow this link click here

Bailey08787 13:15 20 Feb 03

just a small suggestion - long long ago i used think my defrag wasn't working - as it stayed on '0% complete' for hours and hours.

In the end i just left it on - took two whole days to do it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…