Defragmenting HD?

I have AVG 7.5 internet security suite and was wondering should virus scanner and firewall software be deactivated while defragmenting a HD?

I know it may sound a stupid question but you often get programs that say before installing disable them.

Terry Brown 20:51 11 Mar 07

I always leave my anti-virus & Firewall activated when defragging.

If you do decided to turn off the programs ensure you are disconnected from the internet, to prevent any virus /trogan infection.
Terry

Technotiger 20:56 11 Mar 07

Hi, no they should not be turned off. But a better way to keep your harddrive defragged is to use iObit Smartdefrag from click here
I and many other Forum members use it all the time, it works quietly in the background and is much quicker than Windows defrag. Very easy to use.

Technotiger 20:58 11 Mar 07

PS - I would not bother with Advanced Windows Care from that same link, just iObit Smartdefrag.

Thanks to all for the advice.

staples printer cartridge 13:01 12 Mar 07

I have tried this twice and both times I have problems with system crashes and am therefore wary of this type of program running in the background. Is Smartdefrag better?

Snec 13:12 12 Mar 07

click here for the best defragger I've ever used, by far.

staples printer cartridge 20:50 17 Mar 07

Is a defragger really worth £20 for a home user?

Technotiger 20:55 17 Mar 07

iObit Smartdefrag is superb - I have it running all the time on my pc. And of course, it is Free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now