Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 20:06 28 Jun 04

* What is the benefit of it?
* My PC won't defragment...Someone told me that it maybe because i have Norton Anti-Virus, but I don't want to get rid of this.....

Your advice is always respectedxxxxx

VoG II 20:08 28 Jun 04

Benefit is it reorganises the files on your hard drive and speeds things up.

Try Diskeeper Lite click here

chugby 20:13 28 Jun 04

if compatibility an issue try norton utilities
which includes speeddisk + other tools.

PSF 20:14 28 Jun 04

Are you running Win 98, if so try running the defrag in safe mode. It could be something is writing to the hard drive which causes the defrag to start again.

I am currently downloading VoG's suggestion of diskkeeperlite. I have had this before I think, and VoG has never let me down.....

I am really poor on here in that I do not utilise it's full capacity...IE: Did not even know Norton had a utility dept. Gonna investigate though

Mango Grummit 20:54 28 Jun 04

click here

Diskeeper Lite is OK but just takes the top off, which is all it claims to do actually, but it is no substitute for a proper and full defrag as provided by Windows own defragger.

End It All stops all background prgs running and defragging properly will then be no problem. Email me if you can't find the free version anywhere on the net.

Totally-braindead 21:04 28 Jun 04

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) the utility thing is if you have Norton Systemworks(which also incorporates Norton Anti Virus) I've used Norton Anti Virus for years with Windows 98 initially and now with XP and never known it to stop the defrag working but the advise given is good, if you can't defrag normally then go into safe mode and that should work. Defragging you hard drive is pretty much essential, as VoG™ says it speeds things up, if your computer is running a lot slower than it was previously then the 2 most common things are - hard disk needs defragged and stop some of the programs running on boot up.

R4 21:10 28 Jun 04

Norton 'Speed Disk' is a part of Norton Utilites and Norton Systemworks. it is better than the MS defragger. there are others such as perfect disk :-
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…