Defragmenting

babybell 17:50 04 Apr 04

My pc has never had a defragmentation ran on it and im trying to perform one, i have a high spec pc but its about 4 years old. im trying to defrag but it reaches 1% stays like that for a while then goes back to 0%, its been running 4 about an hour now? whats wrong?

VoG II 17:53 04 Apr 04

Try using Diskeeper Lite click here - much better than Windows own.

Stuartli 17:55 04 Apr 04

You need to close all programs and anything else running, such as a screensaver.

babybell 18:00 04 Apr 04

All programs are closed and defrag is the only thing running.
Will try diskeeper, whats this about it only works on a small disk area at a time

VoG II 18:03 04 Apr 04

Just try it - it works, believe me. In fact it's so good that I forked out for the full (paid for) version.

TommyRed 18:04 04 Apr 04

I'm sure I read on here about running defrag in 'safe' mode. HTH TR

fuzzyone 18:08 04 Apr 04

babybell,

what O's.?

kentylad 18:11 04 Apr 04

Running defrag in safe mode will almost certainly work, especially if you close all programs via ctrl+alt+del

With Windows XP I believe you press F8 as the computer is restarting to get the boot list options.

sattman 19:48 04 Apr 04

Are you closing down all programmes with Cnt/Alt?Del?
You must leave explorer and systray running of course.

Simsy 21:44 04 Apr 04

is the fact that if the PC has been in use for 4 years without a defrag, even if it is only lightly used, it will take a long time. It depends on the size of the HDD, but even if it's "only", say,20Gig, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes more than a couple of hours.

How long it takes depends on a number of things; How big the HDD is, (more specifically how big the partition is that is being defragged), how much free space there is on it, How fast the PC is, how much RAM you have... and finally, how badly fragmentted the data is anyway!

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

romanab 21:47 04 Apr 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…