defragmenter will not work

tomcats 18:27 13 Mar 04

when I try to defragment my hard drive the system freezes and I have to reboot some one replaced the hard drive for me as it was chugging (it worked ok till then ) the guy reinstalled windows ( I should point out he collected it and brought it back supposedly working ok) when I called him to tell him it would not defrag he said not to worry now I cant get in touch with him . Is there a simple patch or should I download a disc defragmenter off the net? I am running win98se

powerless 18:28 13 Mar 04

Boot into safe mode and defrag in safe mode.

Press F8 when the computer is starting and choose safe mode.

GaT7 18:50 13 Mar 04

Diskeeper Lite - download from - click here . Runs in normal windows conditions without freezing or restarting in a loop. Works well on my Win98se PC.

PS - Is a large download - use a free download manager to download if not on broadband.

metamorph 19:06 13 Mar 04

i also use diskeeper lite its very fast, you just have to ignore the pop up window every day or so telling you your system may be suffering defrag now, apart from that its great.

Gongoozler 19:07 13 Mar 04

I strongly endorse the recomendation from Crossbow7. Diskeeper is by far the best defragmenter for Windows 98se. The Lite version is superb, just ignore the "Buy full version now" window that pops up each time you use it.

VoG II 19:11 13 Mar 04

I liked it so much that I bought the full version!

tomcats 21:56 13 Mar 04

I have just completed a defragment in safe mode and am already checking out the software to download an alternative defrag prog thanks again everyone

GaT7 22:26 13 Mar 04

I've tried the 30-trial versions of Diskeeper Home & Pro but found they actually slowed down my Win98se PC, & they weren't as quick in defragmenting.

Wrote to Diskeeper about this phenomena (no reply in 2 months), & told them I'm going to stick to the Lite version, thank you very much!

People on WinXP (or other newer OSes) could be better off with the paid-for versions.

GaT7 22:28 13 Mar 04

I meant, ...30-DAY trial versions...

tomcats 00:12 14 Mar 04

I downloaded diskeeper and it froze when I tried to do a defrag

GaT7 00:39 14 Mar 04

Really?! Something else may be wrong. Are any OTHER programs freezing at all?

Download, install & run Belarc Advisor (BA) from click here. When you run BA you get a report with a list of all your software & hardware.

Click on the yellow envelope next to my username & send me a message - just a 'Hi' will do. I will reply with my e-mail address. You can then e-mail me the BA report as an attachment. I'd like to see your system setup as a whole. Am calling it a night for now. See you later on Sunday...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…