defragmenter ?

holligan 19:40 14 Jul 03

how long should it take? what is it .i had it on 30 mins and no blue line and it said 0 done then 1 percent then back to 0 .is something wrong

User-312386 19:48 14 Jul 03

what operating system are you using?

If it is windows 98se or ME

Go into safe mode, to do that restart computer, when you hear the 1st beep start tapping the F5 key, this will take you to safe mode

now carry out a scandisc 1st (not thorough) and then do a defrag

how big is the Hard disc?

Pesala 02:18 15 Jul 03

Diskeeper Lite (10,005 K) click here Defragmentation program that will run in the background, and completes the task more quickly.

Pesala 02:28 15 Jul 03

I started Disk-keeper lite immediately after posting the previous message. It has completed already. I have nearly 11 Gbytes on my 40 Gbyte hard drive.
I haven't run defrag for at least four or five days, so my drive should be heavily fragmented by now.

Not only is Disk-keeper fast, but you can run in while continuing to work. It does slow down other programs, due to the heavy demands it places on disk access, but it does not stop you working altogether. If you try to do anything while running the standard Windows ME defrag tool, it repeatedly restarts and never finishes.

Pesala 02:36 15 Jul 03

It looks like you now have to buy it, but at only £20 or so it is well worth it.

holligan 08:11 15 Jul 03

i will get it when ive a few quid.i was told to defrac.but still dont know why??????

jazzypop 08:27 15 Jul 03

The Hows and Whys of defrag :) -

click here

click here

click here

Although there are 3rd-party tools that you can buy (some of which are better than the built-in Windows version), the built-in version will do the job.

If you have not done it before, or have not disabled your screen-saver and anti-virus while running it, or are still trying to use your PC while running it, or have not run Scandisk first - then yes, it will take a long time.

First, disable the programs mentioned above, then run Scandisk, then run defrag (preferably leave it running overnight, the first time you run it). You will find that if you run it regularly, it will be much quicker on subsequent runs.

holligan 16:34 15 Jul 03

Eastender 17:08 15 Jul 03

Still available free from here. click here

ollie < one> 17:50 15 Jul 03

User-312386 18:09 15 Jul 03

please advise if you are defragging in safe mode and what size your Hard Drive is?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…