defragmentation of multi partitioned hdd

MIKMAL 10:04 01 Nov 03

I am running Windows XP professional on a HDD with two partitions.When I try to run XP's defrag.program a message comes up saying "This version can only run in one instance" Is there a defrag.program that can handle a multi partitioned disk?

Gongoozler 11:17 01 Nov 03

MIKMAL, I don't have much knowledge of XP (I'm still using Windows 98se), but I think the error message isn't referring to multiple partitions but is saying that it can't defrag several partitions at the same time. That is, it is referring to multiple instances of the defrag utility. I use Diskeeper Lite, and this handles multiple partitions with no problem, but only one partition at a time.

Joe McG 11:28 01 Nov 03

MIKMAL,

If you are running xp, you will have to defrag each partition individually, but a utility such as norton utilities will do the full drive.

MIKMAL 14:12 10 Nov 03

Thanks for the advice,there is a utility on Partition Magic 8.0 which resolves the issue by recognising each partition on a disk.Thanks for pointing me in the right direction re:utilities.

Mikmal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…