defragment tool missing

tricia321 09:36 05 Nov 05

I have windows xp pro and when I try to defrag it comes up with a message saying, "snap in creation failed" with a big red cross by the side, can anyone help?

AndySD 10:01 05 Nov 05

click here and have a look, I will keep looking though.

tricia321 10:12 05 Nov 05

hi andy, thanks for your response, I have added a few which I think will be helpful but is there a specific one which would do the trick?

Splork 10:14 05 Nov 05

Not a fix for the snap-in problem but you can type `defrag < driveletter >:` at a command prompt to accomplish the same task.

tricia321 10:28 05 Nov 05

hi andy,
not sure how to do that, can you explain, thanks

Splork 10:32 05 Nov 05

Start Menu/Run, type `defrag c:` minus quotes, for example.

tricia321 10:39 05 Nov 05

am tryin it now, a black screen has come up with an analysis report which is still running, will let you know the outcome, thanks

joseph K 12:06 05 Nov 05

You could try Roxios Defragger. O.K. it's not free, which is a bit of a drag, but it can either do an ordinary defrag, or it can do one that actually optimizes the disk depending on your usage patterns. I found it great when I used Microsoft software.

tricia321 12:27 05 Nov 05

thank you Joseph, I have downloaded a free defragment tool as I couldnt get mine working and thanks to splork and andy for all you responses

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…