defragment laptop with window 8

SanyIhsan 15:33 08 Feb 15

Hi, I am trying to defrag my laptop, but when I try to open the function (clicking the "Defragment and Optimize your drives"), the following dialog box message appears: "Storage optimization cannot start because the task scheduler service is not running. Start the task scheduler service and try again"

Appreciate if someone can help me out

Sany

rdave13 16:09 08 Feb 15

On the desktop right click the Start logo bottom left. Select'run' and type services.msc then click ok. In the services list scroll down to Task Sceduler, right click and 'properties'. Check it is started and on automatic. Apply and ok if needed.

robin_x 16:35 08 Feb 15

For Windows 8 and onwards the ability to start and stop seems to be disabled (greyed out).

MS no longer want you playing with it.

I'm just trying in W10.

There are hacks and Registry tweaks, but I haven't managed to quickly find the exactly solution on my machine.

-_-

Simple solution would be to reboot and see if Task Scheduler runs automatically in services.msc and allows Defrag.

But since Windows Defrag is rubbish anyway, why not try 3rd party. Auslogics DiskDefrag Free?

click here

robin_x 16:37 08 Feb 15

Note that defragging is not usually necessary on modern Windows machines, since it is supposed to run once a week in the background.

robin_x 16:41 08 Feb 15

Use Custom Install with Auslogics, uncheck Bundleware.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:48 08 Feb 15

and you certeinly don;t want to defrag if your using an SSD as your main drive.

rdave13 17:07 08 Feb 15

robintheumpteenth, never noticed you couldn't stop the service. You could try right clicking it and select 'refresh'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…