Defraging hdd

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 23:24 06 Mar 04

Hi, i have defraged my hd about 6 times today
and every time i go back and check it again it tells me you should defrag this drive even tho the analysis looks OK

Regards.

Never again 00:14 07 Mar 04

Are you sure that its finishing the defrag, and what are you using to defrag it with?

Windows defrag can restart again and again and never finish the job if other programs are running in the background.

I downloaded diskeeper lite and find it quicker and better than windows or norton speed disk.

Do a google on it and give it a try.

Sorry I'm not clever enough to do one of those click here links !!

Clint2 00:25 07 Mar 04

Do you mean this click here

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 00:41 07 Mar 04

Im using the windows xp defrag and yes it finished the defrag all six times but it still tells me when i analise the disk it needs defraging.

Regards.

GaT7 01:04 07 Mar 04

Definitely give Diskeeper Lite (freeware) a try as the others have mentioned.

Never again 01:12 07 Mar 04

You lot have just made me even more dangerous by telling me how to do one of those click here thingys.

Why do you think I'm called "never again"

Cheers (I think) !!

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 02:20 07 Mar 04

Does it work for xp ?

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 11:16 07 Mar 04

I have downloaded diskeeper and ran it then analized the disk diskeeper tells me i have 1% defragmentation,windows says it is 62% and needs defraging be 8 times now i done it.It only saying the system volume needs doing the other 1 it ok,but i have turned system restore off on that 1 would that make a difference.

Regards.

Paranoid Android 11:35 07 Mar 04

Hi,

2 things

First. If you like Diskeeper I recommend you to upgrade to the full version (I use DK7). It can be set to run automatically in the background, you never need to defrag again. And because it runs regularly, it only takes about 30 seconds on my 30Gb NTFS drive.

Yes it works with XP

Second, decide which program you want to use and stick with it - don't switch backwards and forwards between (for example) Windows defragger and DK. This is because they can use different algorithms for deciding the order in which files should be stored. If DK thinks a file should be at the beginning of the drive, but windows thinks it should be at the end, all you are doing is needlessly moving it around.

Marvin

961 11:44 07 Mar 04

Is Windows xp defrag not actually based on Diskeeper?

fly-chicken-fly 11:53 07 Mar 04

use perfectdisk free trial it's certified by ms and it will do it better you can get a free trial at click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…