Defragging the registry

sunnystaines 16:59 07 Nov 14

used to do it a lot in w98/xp days. But not used for ages are they useful or just as iffy like registry cleaners?

what are readers views?

not sure if it is worth running one.

SparkyJack 17:19 07 Nov 14

Defragging the drive and sorting registry are to different actions.

Defeat the drive simply moves packets of data to a more compact area if the drive,thus freeing up space.

The registrry action to remove redundant/broken ,links.

Defeat is Windows function found in accessories/system tools

The registry is best dealt with by the likes of Ccleaner or Revo Uninstaller

SparkyJack 17:23 07 Nov 14

Dreaded auto word ruiner struck again

Defeat should read Defragment

wee eddie 17:35 07 Nov 14

Defragging the Registry has not been discussed recently. My impression is that any benefits are debateable but there is a logic in doing so if you regularly delete items.

I have only done it the once and was unable to find any difference in the speed of my PC

Woolwell 18:27 07 Nov 14

IMO it used to have some purpose when drives were small and slow nowadays there seems to be little need unless problems occur and if they are major a re-install of the OS may be needed. I haven't sorted the registry for some time.

john bunyan 18:34 07 Nov 14

I just use CCleaner to tidy up the registry , and Auslogics Disc Defrag to defrag each partition as a whole.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:08 07 Nov 14

the dangers of messing with the registry far outweigh any slight advantages that may be gained.

with the latest files systems defragging the drives fall into the same category, not worth the time and effort involved.

iscanut 19:19 07 Nov 14

Just use Ccleaner if you must but otherwise, don,t bother.

Woolwell 19:45 07 Nov 14

You must not defrag an SSD.

sunnystaines 21:15 07 Nov 14

I was not talking about hdd or ssd defrag. Just defrag of registry files eg auslogigs or eusing registry defrag software etc

Woolwell 21:19 07 Nov 14

ccleaner would be the only one that I would use and then sparingly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac