Defragging probs with Win XP & SystemSuite :(

GibsonSt19 18:21 29 Aug 03

Hiya, anyone come across this?

Each time I try to run the disk check from within SystemSuite (v5), it tells me that it cannot access the drive (immediately). I have tried terminating all processes however this has not changed anything. I've also tried it through Safe Mode, but still no joy.

I've tried many other utils like this, and various defrag utils however they all tell me the same. Any ideas guys? I hope I didn't purchase SystemSuite in vein?!!!

Thanks

Andsome 19:19 29 Aug 03

Try this. click here

GibsonSt19 19:44 29 Aug 03

The idea is that I don't have to use anything else as I've paid for SystemSuite now. By the way, Disk Keeper does the same thing though.

Well, omst the defraggers I use advise me that there is some prob with the HD and that it needs to be scanned, yet even the disc scanners build into these programmes don't get any further.

I need a more direct solution if possible.

Ta

Andsome 20:15 29 Aug 03

If you run XP, try putting in the CD and clicking START/RUN, then type 'sfc /scannow', without the ' quote of course, and leave a space between sfc and /.

Otherwise type sfc. this should replace any corrupted files.

Djohn 20:23 29 Aug 03

Have you tried using XP's own defrag system? works excellent for me, takes about 6 to 8 minutes to defrag a 80g drive, [Only 9g of progs on drive], I don't even close down any programs, not even anti-virus or screensaver. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…