Defragging my hard disk

Hithereto 17:13 03 Jul 03

Help ! When I try to defrag my Hard Disk, it gets so far (ususally 3 notches) and then starts all over again. This can go on for days !

Terrahawk 17:16 03 Jul 03

close all processes except sys tray and explorer turn off screensaver if running then try again

Lú-tzé 17:18 03 Jul 03

Start in Safe Mode and then try it; usually caused by something running in the background.

Gongoozler 17:26 03 Jul 03

One way to really speed up defrag is to use Diskeeper Lite. This is free and is many times faster than the Microsoft defrag. The only penalty of using DK Lite is that it keeps asking you if you want to upgrade.

click here

Hithereto 17:30 03 Jul 03

Thanks for all your' help but being a complete novice, how do I close everything except my sys tray and also how do I defrag in safe mode ?

Hope you can help again !

Lú-tzé 17:32 03 Jul 03

To boot into safe mode: depends on your OS.

Have a look here: click here

Hithereto 17:37 03 Jul 03

Thank you, I will try this overnight, wish me luck!

Gongoozler 17:44 03 Jul 03

Defragging with Diskeeper Lite is painless and my 30G drive defrags in less than 1/2 hour.

Hithereto 17:47 03 Jul 03

Thank you for the info on Diskeeper Lite but I can't download anything else, as there is no space left on my computer.

Terrahawk 17:52 03 Jul 03

what operating system

Gongoozler 17:53 03 Jul 03

Hi Hithereto. If you have no space left on your computer, this could be one reason why you have so much trouble defragging. I find that a hard drive more than 75% full gives all kinds of problems. The trouble is that there is then nowhere to store temporary information. It may be a good idea to back up some of your files so that you can clear some disk space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…