Defrag/chkdsk

pppc 08:41 13 Apr 06

I am running Windows XP SP2. I have (effectively) 4 hard drives. My 'root'drive is F:. I defrag them all regularly.

For the last couple of weeks I have been denied the ability to defrag F: - "Defrag has detected Chkdsk is scheduled to run - please run Chkdsk /f.". I attempt to run Chkdsk and I am told the disk is locked, currently in use, and I am offered the opportunity to run Chkdsk next time Windows rstarts, an offer I accept.

But it doesn't run, and I can't defrag my disk.

This has only recently started to happen, after using defrag quite happily fo some months. Anyone any idea how I solve it???

johnnyrocker 09:44 13 Apr 06

try system file check, start/run sfc /scannow and input xp disk when asked and see if that helps, otherwise what about system restore?

johnny.

remind 09:52 13 Apr 06

try `chkdsk /f F:` in safe mode

pppc 22:06 21 Apr 06

Many thanks to remind for suggesting |Safe Mode - BUT - I cannot get in to safe mode!!

On every attempt after selecting safe mode and XP (I have both XP and W98 installed) I get about ywo screensful of a listing apparently of drivers - the address for all statrts MULTI(O)DISK(0)... and continues with addresses in various \WINDOWS sub directories. The boot then freezes - the HD red light on continually and no response to any keyboard/mouse inputs.

Any ideas, anybody??

I don't think I have previous attmmpted Safe Mode since installing XP 8 - 9 months ago, though I am very familiar with it in W98 and earlier

Peter C

pppc 11:33 22 Apr 06

See my posting under SAFE MoDE.

I got into SafeMode through MSCONFIG/BOOT.INI and all worked a charm. Thank you both for responding.

P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…