Defrag XP v 98SE

pjt 19:19 03 Dec 04

I have recently upgraded from 98SE to XP PRO.
When using 98 I used to defrag about every month with Diskkeeper Lite, but since moving to XP I find I have to defrag every week although I am not doing anything different now from then. I dont understand why the fragmentation of my files on the C drive has escalated so much.

Everything else has remained the same except the OS.
Could anyone help me with this problem> or is it to be expected?
DD Lite reports after 1 week that I have 16% fragmentation and that I should defrag every day!. Is this usual? With 98 it would take months to reach this level.

VoG II 19:26 03 Dec 04

I think that this is normal. I believe (but could be wrong) that XP moves files around, in the background, to optimise program launch times.

Technotiger 19:28 03 Dec 04

Hi, yes it is unusual, I defrag once a week, even then I don't really need to. Try this, I use it all the time .... click here download/install VoptXP, better than the xp built-in defrag.

ACOLYTE 19:29 03 Dec 04

Just set the set it an forget it mode then it will do it without you noticing.

Buchan 35 19:42 03 Dec 04

Have you tried Disc clean in System tools, might be better than defragging so frequently

pjt 02:11 04 Dec 04

Hi, I`m still confused - VoG thinks its normal but Technotiger says its unusual. Could we have a decider? I always use Disc Clean before defragging with Disk Defragmentor Lite which is always reccommended in this forum. As it is Lite I cant just set it and forget it.

Technotiger 08:23 04 Dec 04

Hi, sorry for any confussion For *me* it is unusual, but pc's being pc's this does not mean everybody is the same. I guess it depends on individual usage. lol

anchor 08:28 04 Dec 04

You may find this thread interesting:

click here

Jackcoms 08:36 04 Dec 04

Let's look at this from another point of view.

I use XP with a 40gb HDD and I usually defrag once a week using the standard Windows defragger. If I'm unlucky it takes as much as 6 or 7 minutes and I'm happy with the result.

I was at my sister's house last week and she uses Win 98 with a 4gb HDD. She's not very PC savvy, so I did a bit of basic PC housekeeping for her. Using the Windows defragger, it took 2 hours, re-started the process 5 times and only ever reached 85% completion. I gave up in the end!

Give me XP any time.

Andsome 08:43 04 Dec 04

I recommend the paid for version of Diskeeper. It can be set to run in the background, defragging as and when needed. It costs about £9. I have noticed no slow down on the computer, but then it does have a decent sized processor, and 1024DDR memory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…