Defrag, system restore, search not working.

Papa goose 15:40 29 Mar 09

Hi all,

I have a back up PC, and got a message to say hard drive space was low. I deleted all the old phone and camera software from the pc as well as Nero, cyberDVD, powerdvd and Philips Media Manager programs that were never used.

I rebooted the machine, went to run a defrag but got and error message, went to search for the file and got a message to say 'file missing run set-up',tried system restore. and just got a white screen. So somewhere in what I deleted was a linked file or something.

Any advice as to how to recover this.

Thanks in advance.

eedcam 15:44 29 Mar 09

try and do a system restore in safe mode

Papa goose 15:55 29 Mar 09

Thanks eedcam....how do I do that??

birdface 16:23 29 Mar 09

Just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts.

Papa goose 16:35 29 Mar 09

Ok thanks guys.

I'm in safe mode on that pc, but the systen restore screen is white.
When clicking on search the error message "a file that requires to run search companion cannot be found. You may need to run setup" appears. if I click ok the search box comes up, but the boes on the left to enter your search/disk'c et in black, the dog search help assistant is there, but does nothing.
Defrag comes up with "MMC cannot open the file"

What else can I try?

birdface 18:05 29 Mar 09

While in safe mode run your security programs.

mfletch 18:51 29 Mar 09

I have the same feeling a Nasty

CalmCookie 23:55 29 Mar 09

Try and reinstal the Disk Defrag by typing this in RUN

%Windir%\inf

Then look for a file called dfrg.inf
Right-click it and choose install

Hopefully this will work.

:o)

Papa goose 06:50 30 Mar 09

It's getting worse, before I could try CalmCookie's tip, I manages to get a system recovery going. It was taking a while, so went to bed and left it runing, it had done the removal part and was 54% into the restore.... and we had a power cut at some point:-o.

So this morning I fired the pc up, and it starts to boot, the stops on a black screen with PCI device listing at the top, and at the bottom is NTLDR is compressed Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. If I do that, A wjit screen with Philips appears, then back to the same black screen, but nothing else works. If I tap F8, when the white screen appears I go into a blue screen white Pheonix - AwardBIOS CMOS Setup Utility at the top.

OMG... what have I done!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…