Defrag suddenly inaccessible in Windows XP

naviator 00:05 21 Feb 09

Windows XP Home. Defrag selection results in "MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\system32dfrg.msc".
The file is there, I do have administrator's rights, and the last time I used it about 10 days ago there was no problem. Has anyone else experienced this fault?

brundle 01:35 21 Feb 09

Locate C:\WINDOWS\inf\dfrg.inf, right click and select Install, reboot and try defrag again.

naviator 10:04 21 Feb 09

Brundle - Thank you for your response. Unable to locate the Windows system file you mention - apparently it doesn't exist on my machine. The only one which does is dfrg.msc on system 32 and that doesn't help at all.

birdface 10:13 21 Feb 09

Maybe try this.
click here
Or just Google for free Defrager.

brundle 10:26 21 Feb 09

It's a hidden file, you need to tick "Show Hidden Files" in Folder options, or click here

naviator 13:19 21 Feb 09

Thank you again, also Buteman. I had in fact opened the hidden files but still no sign of the file needed.
In the meantime I have tried both Auslogic Disk Defrag and Piriform Defraggler. The former very fast but did not seem to do a thorough job as Piriform uncovered another large number of fragmented files which it took well over an hour to process (much slower than the MS version). I think I will stick with Piriform which although it doesn't resolve the original problem does enable defragmentation to take place.
This query therefore remains open in case any other solutions turn up.

User-1229748 15:35 21 Feb 09

there's a few possible solutions hereclick here

el jimbo2 18:11 21 Feb 09

Try dial a fix.
It is free and the fix defrag tool is in the hammer button.

nepakabintas 19:10 21 Feb 09

hello! i just discovered a brand new site and i really felt like sharing with you!
click here - it is a penny auction, where you can buy all brand new items like laptops, iPod's, LCD TV's, Nintendo Wii, digital camera's, PC and even cars! for a few pennies. IT IS REALLY MAD! but it is true, come and take a look and register. Registration only takes couple of minutes, and in few moments you my win a brand new laptop or TV!
it is all in here - click here - i am waiting for you, Don't miss this chance to grab a superb bargain for a few pennies. click here
thank you, yours sincerely Thomas Cook.

birdface 19:40 21 Feb 09

You are getting a bit of a pain in the neck.
Why not just go somewhere where someone may be interested in downloading your rubbish.
And leave this forum for folk who really need help.

el jimbo2 22:15 23 Feb 09

just tried dial a fix on my machine, did not work.

I have the same problem. I am recovering from a virus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…