Defrag - Scandisk - No Way

TamiZ 15:55 26 Sep 04

Run Windows ME. Tried to do a defrag but was told that data had changed and do a thorough scandisk. Tried thorough scandisk - stopped responding. Tried standard scandisk - stopped responding. Is there any way of getting thorough scandisk to run as Windows loads up - or an easy way to shut down additional programs when thorough scandisk running? Any reasonable suggestions appreciated - P.S. I'm not too much of a techie!

VoG II 16:05 26 Sep 04

Start in Safe Mode click here then defrag. Or use Diskeeper Lite click here

the lone ranger 17:46 26 Sep 04

I think you can also close down all of the programmes EXCEPT, I think windows by doing the ctrl-alt-del to bring up the system files and closing them down one at a time.
Perhaps somebody can be more specific here.

This is also a good thing in ME if a programme hangs. It can be closed down easily which in my humble opinion is sadly missing from XP.

In fact, does anyone know if XP has an equivalent of ctrl-alt-del.

Andy

VoG II 17:48 26 Sep 04

CTRL+ALT+DEL works is in XP or right click taskbar and select Task Manager.

the lone ranger 19:42 26 Sep 04

Cheers VoG, you are right. I could have sworn that this didn`t work when I tried it months ago and haven`t bothered trying since.

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread TamiZ.

Andy

wysiwyg8 16:29 27 Sep 04

As an alternative to starting in safe mode try googling for a program called "kill it all" and run that before tying to defrag. It works for me.Ican also reccommend DiskCleaner Lite click here It works far quicker than a big hard disc

wysiwyg8 16:33 27 Sep 04

Continued sorry
It works far quicker than a windows defrag on a big hard drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017