defrag and scan disc will not work

pete h 12:26 12 Apr 03

Hya i hope someone can help me. i tried to run scandisc and defrag today. i got the screen up to select the drive on defrag then when i select it i get frozen out. i then press alt cont and delet to get a fatal error message. when i try and run scandisc i get frozen straight away. this has only just started to happen. i am running windows 98se. hope someone can help. pete haywood.

Lozzy 12:42 12 Apr 03

Boot the PC into Safe Mode by pressing F8 whilst booting i.e when you see the words starting windows on the balck screen during boot then try it.. It should work ok

fLeAbOy 12:48 12 Apr 03

spot on lozzy!!

its always best to run defrag in safe mode as in this mode of windows, you should be able to run defrag without any unneccesary programs accessing your hard drive.

Kitz E Kat 16:11 12 Apr 03

You could also try sutting off the screen saver and anti virus programs, as these can interfere with the defrag program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…