Defrag query

timestar 16:47 18 Feb 08

How often should you defrag a hard drive? If I run analysis in XP it tells me there is no need to, but I haven't done a Defrag since I bought the laptop about 10 months ago. Will it make that much difference? Can it do any harm?

Technotiger 16:49 18 Feb 08

It will not do any harm. I always used to defrag mine (even with that message) at least weekly. Now-a-days I use Diskeeper so never need to defrag, it is always kept defragged automatically.

Sea Urchin 16:50 18 Feb 08

It won't do any harm, but you may well speed things up a bit with a regular defrag. I would suggest once a month, but it's down to personal preference.

Diemmess 16:59 18 Feb 08

If like me, you only think of defrag when you have nothing better to do, then be careful because that can lead to trying all sorts of other things which come close to trying to fix it when it aint broke!

If you can go 10 months with no symptoms of slowing up, and Analysis saying don't bother, then I would take that as a strong hint to leave it alone.

So much depends on what you are doing to tangle the drive. In my case all sorts of brief notes, interesting downloads and photos kept in temporary places until I decide to save/scrap them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…