Defrag program for WinXP?

steve12345 11:33 02 Jul 04

Anyone know of a good defrag program for WinXP Home?

I used WinXP's own defrag program but it seems to leave gaping holes between the blocks of data and loading seems a bit SLOWER!

Thanks.

rogertjj 11:37 02 Jul 04

I use Diskeeper Lite. Much faster than Windows own. It can be downloaded from the downloads section

€dstowe 11:48 02 Jul 04

I prefer Perfect Disk - you have to pay for it but there is a 30 day fully working trial to test it out. click here

€d

stlucia 12:53 02 Jul 04

I don't think there's anything wrong with leaving big gaps between data -- the only objective is to bring all fragments of each file adjacent to each other.

I have often thought that the 'traditional' defragger could in fact (theoretically) reduce the life of my HDD by concentrating everything into the first part of the drive and leaving the rest of the drive relatively less-used.

sil_ver 13:00 02 Jul 04

I think Diskeeperlite is a brilliant prog. No messing about shutting down progs or going into safe mode, you just do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…