Defrag problems

TheTerminator 12:19 10 Jun 04

When I try to defrag my hard disk, nothing happens at all. No message etc. My question is how do I restore the defrag program? I can not do a system restore as I had to clear them to stop a pesky virus lurking there.
So, can anyone tell me how to restore the defrag program?
Thanks

Baledor 12:22 10 Jun 04

Add/Remove programs from the Windows Setup, although if defrag has been removed by problems and Windows does not think that it has been unistalled then you may have to run Windows setup and select repair.

TheTerminator 12:25 10 Jun 04

but where is it? I've had a look and can not find it anywhere. Not under any of the "Windows Components"... Please advise me where you found it

Valvegrid 12:51 10 Jun 04

If it's on your machine do a search for defrag.exe. In Windows 98 it's in the Windows folder. What O/S are you using?

TheTerminator 12:52 10 Jun 04

win xp pro

VoG II 13:03 10 Jun 04

It should be in C:\Windows\System32 with a copy in C:\I386

TheTerminator 13:07 10 Jun 04

in C:\Windows\System32 but it is only a dos prompt and not with the windows front end..
Would doing a rescan of windows xp sort this problem out?

GaT7 14:10 10 Jun 04

You could run a sfc /scannow. click here if you need to know how. Good luck, G

LillyValley 16:54 10 Jun 04

Provided Windows XP registry has not gone up to creaks, (in which case you'll need to run a Windows Rpair utilising the Window XP disc,)then right-click on the C:\WINDOWS folder and left-click on Search. In 'All Files and Folders' type 'dfrg', and you'll see a few entries coming up in the C:\WINDOWS\System32 one of which reads 'dfrg.msc'. Right-click on it and left-click on 'pin to start menu'(you can always move it to the Accessories later.
Again, assuming that Windows is not in really bad shape, Defrag should run normally, BUT make sure you run a Scandisk first.

NB To run a Windows Repair would not be a bad idea anyway.

Hope this helps.

THE TERMINATOR 23:57 12 Jun 04

Please can you change your name before I report you to the Forum Editor?

TheTerminator 00:02 13 Jun 04

On what grounds? I've been a member here since 1999 (I think).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…