Defrag Problems

gill 19:40 13 Apr 04

Hi All,
I am running win.98(SE) and have been trying to defrag my computer since lunchtime today.After several failed attempts, I have run Scan Disk (Thorough)and it said that errors were found and fixed so I ran defrag again but have still only got to 92%. It then starts over again. My computer has crashed during my attempts to defrag and at one stage I got the following message:=
"DEFRAG caused an exeption 111fH in module KRNL
386.EXE.at 00003c7b"
If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful.Many thanks. Gill

BurrWalnut 19:45 13 Apr 04

Either run it in Safe Mode or cancel everything except Explorer and Systray via msconfig.

You're running Win98 so get hold of a WinME version from a friend or download it. It runs much faster, is only 210Kb and will easily fit on a floppy.

To be on the safe side, in C:\Windows rename defrag.exe to defrag.old and copy in the new ME version.

Eastender 20:04 13 Apr 04

DiskeeperLite is still avaiable from Diskeeper Lite and it's free.

Eastender 20:06 13 Apr 04

That wine is better than I thought try Diskeeper click here

gill 21:45 13 Apr 04

Thanks BurrWalnut for your reply but where do I get winME Defrag.exe. from? I have searched the internet including M/S download page but without any success.I have read that it runs much faster on win98 se. but first I have to find it.
Many thanks again. Gill
ps. Eastender, I am downloading Diskkeeper at the moment. Gill

BurrWalnut 07:23 14 Apr 04

Just key defrag.exe into a Google search and look for the WinME version.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:25 14 Apr 04

click here and use this programme, it is excellent for defragging, writing CDs, etc.

G

gill 15:25 14 Apr 04

Many thanks to you all for your kind advice.
I have successfully downloaded WinME and installed it and completed my defrag. I have downloaded "Diskeeper lite" and I will look at that for future reference and thank you GANDALF <|:-)>
for the "Enditall" program. I think another success for you all.what would we do without PC Advisor and it's helpers.Many thanks to you all again. Gill.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…