To defrag or not to defrag that is the question.

Cymro. 12:19 15 Jan 07

On advise on this forum yesterday I have downloaded 10bit SmartDefrag.

I am very happy with the program but just wonder if I really need to defrag so often.

I have set it to defrag when the system is idle so it may well defrag several times in one day.

I thought of difraging the system when idle as a sort of compromise between a continual defrag and a manual defrag.

Is it possible to defrag too often, will doing so damage my system in some way?

I used to defrag every couple of months or so and then only when the Windows system said I needed to.

How do you set your defrag system?

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:24 15 Jan 07

I don't play games but do huge amounts of office work and photo-editing and I defrag once a year. If you use Ccleaner click here you will get rid of lots of unneeded files. Modern computers rarely need a defrag and there is a case for too much defragging being bad. Twice a year should do you.

G

pennyben 12:25 15 Jan 07

It all depends on how you use your PC, do you use large files, delete large files etc daily? If so you may need to defrag more often. If not check every few weeks and manually defrag when necessary.

Cymro. 12:43 15 Jan 07

Thanks very much for your quick response.

Your excellent advice was much as I expected.

AS I have probably less heavy use of my computer than you do.

I will return to defragging as and when needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…