Defrag issues in XP

Qdiddy 14:45 26 Mar 05

I'm trying to defrag a partition on my 2nd HDD, but I keep getting the message - "Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume: “Volume Name” (E:). Please run Chkdsk /f."

I have run Chkdsk /f both from the start/run command and from Safeboot/DOS command but I still get the message. I have even tried to empty the drive and reformat it but get a message saying that windows cannot reformat the drive.

Can anyone tell me why this might be occurring?

Thanks

SANTOS7 14:52 26 Mar 05

click here
this may help....

Qdiddy 18:44 26 Mar 05

Santos7,

Thanks for the link. I have thought of that, which is why I have emptied the drive and tried to reformat it. There are no programs installed on the drive either. The other thing I have done is ensure that my Antivirus, and other protection programmes are all switched off and even tried to defrag in safemode.

Any other ideas?

smokingbeagle 22:34 26 Mar 05

deleting all partitions on the disk (from Disk Management) and then creating new ones.

Qdiddy 11:50 27 Mar 05

There are only two partitions, the other one has all of my personal records on it. So I didn't really want the hassle of backing it all up and deleting the partitions. But I would do so if really needed.

Any other ideas please?

Qdiddy 17:34 27 Mar 05

Bump :^)

Qdiddy 19:36 28 Mar 05

Bump :^)

Qdiddy 22:31 29 Mar 05

One more bump. Can anyone offer anything further? Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…