Defrag interrupted by rnaapp re-starting

redelf 13:05 09 May 03

I always use CTRL/ALT/DEL to clode down all programs, except Explorer & Systray, before defragging and this has always worked well. Last time I did it, however, the defrag kept restarting due to HD rewrite; closing down defrag and doing ctrl/alt/del again showed that rnaapp had restarted. I tried several times again but the same thing kept happening.
Any ideas anyone ?

graham√ 13:17 09 May 03

Rnaap is 'Remote Network Access Application Program'. Do you have Broadband? If not, see if rnaap is in the Start menu, and take it out.

Steinman 14:16 09 May 03

Try defragging in SAFE windows.

wee eddie 16:27 09 May 03

There is a W'98 problem with RNAAPP that those who have at one time or other had an internet account with 'bt' and a couple of other operators.

The program "Inverse Insight" is often the cause and has been superceeded, I am told.

If this helps you.
click here

Thank Fogey

redelf 18:55 09 May 03

Thanks everyone for your suggestions; I shall try them out over the weekend and let you know how I get on. Just to respond now to some of the suggestons:-

graham√ I am not on broad band and rnaapp is not in my start up group.

Steinman: I will try safemode as my first step

wee eddie: I have checked and I do not have Inverse Insight ; also I have Norton AV 2003 and have always kept the virus definitions up to date; also use ZoneAlarm firewall so I don't think I have a virus problem, as alluded to in the post from Fogey you refer to.

wee eddie 19:58 09 May 03

Inverse Insight is not a virus. It was part of some ISP's collection of useful! junk that loads when you use their install disk.

It is only a problem if you run W'98 and 'bt' was the primary ISP to use it, so that unless you have that particular combination of software.

It will not be your problem

woodchip 20:56 09 May 03

Have you got Kazza or a file sharing app. it's your Dial-up trying to connect to internet

redelf 14:28 11 May 03

Using safemode made no difference but I have managed to defag. This time, when it re-started instead of closing down the defrag and using ctrl/alt/del, the starting defrag again, I just did ctrl/alt/del while the defrag was running and closed down rnaapp ; it did not start up again. I don't use file sharing so I still don't know it is happening.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…