Defrag hangs

dkuk2000 19:51 28 Oct 03

I've been trying to defrag my nobr> a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="click here=" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,0);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(0);">pc /a> /nobr> and it appears to hang up at 35% everytime.
I've tried this in safe mode and also with nothing else running ?
I'm running windows Me.
Any ideals ??????

DieSse 20:09 28 Oct 03

It could easily be a hard drive problem - try running a full surface scan.

It may be preferable to run this in DOS mode from a startup diskette and Wndows CD.

JoJoh 20:15 28 Oct 03

I had a problem with Defrag even in safe mode. I found that by disconnecting my ADSL cable it made it work.This was in win 98se

R4 20:44 28 Oct 03

Mabe another program is attempting to use the HD during Defrag causing it to hang. Make sure that there are no other programs running whilst defragging.

Try Running Scandisk including surface check to see if the HD is OK.

Mike 20:46 28 Oct 03

Sorry dkuk but your post reads as the following....

"I've been trying to defrag my nobr> a class="iAs" style="border- bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text- decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background- color:transparent;" href="click here=" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,0);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(0);">pc /a> / nobr> and it appears to hang up at 35% everytime. I've tried this in safe mode and also with nothing else running ? I'm running windows Me. Any ideals ??????"

The click here;sz=120x600;ord=2003.10.29.05.33.13? in the middle appears to point to a blank page, is this just me?.

Attempting to answer your problem, when I had Windows ME I used a third party defragger such as Diskeeper. Far quicker and a lot less restarts.

wee eddie 21:11 28 Oct 03

If so disable 'Fast Find' it'll make life easier.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…