Defrag freezes

giggsy 14:11 10 Mar 05

Afternoon everyone.
I'm running Win98SE and when I use Diskkeeper light, it runs fine and defreags my hard disk.
However, when I use Windows own defrag tool, it gets near the end and freezes up. The mouse pointer still moves, but nothing else responds. The only solution is to hit reset on the tower unit (which can't be good!)
Is my hard disk getting old (HDD Health predictions precision shows it at 25% whatever that means!) or is Windows messed up?
Thanks.

Stuartli 14:13 10 Mar 05

Do you have a screensaver or have set Power Options to operate within a reasonable period of time?

If so they may be interfering with the defrag as they come into operation.

Disable both temporarily or keep moving the mouse slightly every 10 minutes or so.

giggsy 14:19 10 Mar 05

I always make sure that both screensavers and power management are disabled before running defrag. I Ctrl+Alt+Delete to stop all progs before running it. It's only started happening in the last couple of months.

sinbad1 14:24 10 Mar 05

i had problems with diskeeper light worked fine :but for some reason i couldn't run windows defrag.
I wasn't too bothered as diskeeper light seemed to do a good job.
Later i had problems with my networking wasn't a problem with diskeeper;but running ipconfig in dos would not work, it was some time before i found out that diskeeper was preventing this.
I removed diskeeper and windows defrag and ipconfig in dos worked fine.
you may be experiencing a simular problem

jack 14:32 10 Mar 05

Too many similar progs will conflict.
Also programs in back ground, screensavers,
you moving the mouse, looking at the screen, moving your chair, slurping coffee will stop it.
It is very shy and will only work in the dark.
So shut down all programs, switch off the light and go to bed.
All will be done in the morning.

andyloran 08:36 29 Mar 05

and I don't have Diskeeper light. I also stop all programmes working by ctl/alt/del and my defrag stops where it wants. Same result as you, only mouse works. My defrag works fine on drives D & E, but not on my main drive c. I put it on last night and went to bed and this morning it was stuck at 29%. I had to turn off power. Did you find a solution?

Jackcoms 08:42 29 Mar 05

Disable your AV software before running Windows defrag.

As Windows defrags files your AV software will 'check' every file which slows the whole process down.

For some reason Win98 seems to be particularly sensitive to freezing.

Don't forget to re-enable your AV afterwards.

p;3 09:21 29 Mar 05

is this still a problem for you ?

and, when you are running the program, if you have it in the "show details"mode which is how I run mine,you can then visually see what is happening in the defragmenting process, and how slow or fast each bit is progressing ( I was working on another pc the other day ( and going back to it today) defragging it,in the display mode, and it fairly zoomed through the first 70%, then took about 1 1/2 hours to get very painfully cell by cell through the next 10% ( the reason I later discovered ,is that it is infected); )

if you press ctrl/alt/del and bring up the running proccesses window,you can then close down all the programs you do not need to have running while you do the defragment; this will help the comp to concentrate on the task in hand without distrubance from any other process;

and mine has plenty of free Ram so it can get on with the job;
if you are still at odds with it, let us know?as maybe something else needs sorting:)

and andyloran;sounds like you might need to start a thread for yours? unless you have already done so; defrag ought not to "take all night" and still be only 20 odd %completed; sumunt ammiss there::)))

Wak 09:48 29 Mar 05

I run win 98SE and defrag a 20GB hard drive (about 1/3 full) in about 3 minutes.
I replaced the original defrag.exe file with the defrag.exe file as used in win ME.
It's about 10 times faster and more stable.
Go to click here, download the newdefrag.zip file and follow the instructions.
Of course, you still have to stop anything else from running while you defrag otherwise you get the re-starts.

BlueMeanie 17:37 29 Mar 05

I confirm with Wak, that Windows 98SE version of defrag is very poor.

When (re)installing Win98Se onto PC's I ALWAYS put the ME version of defrag onto the new installation. If you can't get a copy please let me know and I will send a copy to you.

PS the ME version of FDISK is also better than the Win98 version.

giggsy 21:58 30 Mar 05

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
Wak, I'll try the link and let you know how I get on!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac