Defrag faulty

Shagrin1 17:01 29 Aug 03

my windows 98 defrag has given up the ghost, I only have a small hard drive, 8.4 GB but after 3 hours it was still checking for errors and hadn't started to defrag. Is there a\ faster one available to download?
Shagrin

Switcher 17:08 29 Aug 03

Use the ME defragger it is Much Faster and works OK on WIN98

Terrahawk 17:09 29 Aug 03

try closing all processes in task manager except for EXPLORER and SYSTRAY and then run defrag again

Andsome 19:23 29 Aug 03

This is brilliant and FREE. click here

TommyRed 21:26 29 Aug 03

Also disable your 'Quick Launch' toolbar in case anything there is writing to your PC during defrag, works for me. Right click on empty area next to system tray select toolbars, uncheck 'Quick Launch'. TR

tbh72 22:07 29 Aug 03

Alway's run scandisk B4 using defrag. When running defrag ensure that it is NOT set to make executables "EXE's" load & run faster.

I haven't checked andsome's link but if it is for a program called diskkeeper lite d/l & install it as it's MEGA Fast!!!!

Shagrin1 09:17 30 Aug 03

I fixed my defrag problem by closing all the programs on my task manager except explorer and systray. What do all the others do, some are obvious but what are the following:-
Instantaccess
Companion
hidserv
Type32
DAP
Rnaapp
Do these make startup take a long time and which ones can I delete and how do I do it.
Shagrin

Valvegrid 09:22 30 Aug 03

Click on start then run and type msconfig, click on the tab that says 'Startup' you can turn things off from there.

Paul.

Nellie2 09:55 30 Aug 03

I have to agree with andsome and tbh72 diskeeper lite is the best when it comes to a defragging utility.

Andsome 10:58 01 Sep 03

I liked Diskeeper Lite so much, that I bought the paid for full version, it is about twenty quid. It can be left to run constantly in the background, and keeps any number of drives continuously at 100% unfragmented. It does not appear to slow the computer down, at least, I haven't noticed any difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…