defrag 98se from msdos

blowworm 14:13 21 Dec 04

Hi,
Can anyone please advise me how to defrag 98se from msdos, there is something keeps changing my drive content and it only runs for a few seconds(defrag that is).

What do I type at the ms prompt?

Thanks, regards, happy xmas and new year.

James

mgmcc 14:28 21 Dec 04

Try running "Defrag.exe" which is in C:\Windows\

Diemmess 16:01 21 Dec 04

You are probably trying to defrag C: which is dynamic and ever changing while you are running Windows in the background.

Reboot and tap on F8 until the DOS menu appears and select "Command Prompt Only." This will take you to C:>....... Now type CD Windows and Enter.
This should change the cursor to C:\Windows..... Now simply type defrag and Enter.

spikeychris 16:13 21 Dec 04

You cant defrag in DOS, Windows has to be running. Safe mode would be an option as this only starts the bare bones drivers and utilities.

Diemmess 17:06 21 Dec 04

Sorry, should have remembered.......
The answer has to be to make sure the absolute minimum is running at startup (via msconfig)

spikeychris 17:11 21 Dec 04

XP is making us soft.

GYPSY 22:51 21 Dec 04

I'm still an old fashioned W98 user and the way to defrag is to shut down all but "explorer" & "systray" ie as spikeychris and blowworm says make sure the absolute minimum is running. To do this hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete and one by one "end task" all but explorer and systray. Then defag and finally reboot. Hope this helps.

keith-236785 23:39 21 Dec 04

blowworm, shut down your Virus checker, firewall, screen saver, any norton products you have and also stop findfast (delete from the startup folder then reboot your pc)from running. any of these can cause your defrag to stop and restart, due to disk changes/activity.

please disconnect from the internet before disabling virus checker and firewall though, you dont want any nasties creeping in.

good luck

woodchip 23:47 21 Dec 04

Just press Start shut down to windows, then you can just type ether SCANISK or DEFRAG and then press enter

swanny2 00:53 22 Dec 04

if u set a scheduled task for defrag too work does ure pc have be on wen u shut down .. or do u just leave it on ? an not shut down .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5