Definative List of Should Haves.

peter4076 11:19 07 Apr 05

O/S...WinXP SP2
plus some photo manipulative software, photoshop/Ulead etc,etc.

But what utilities are essential to a bother free lifestyle and to be able comb the wwww in absolute safety, safe in the knowledge that my computer is the best a man can get (Gillette)
seriously....reading this web site & making my 779th visit it seems if it's free it should be downloaded & running, but I think there should be a definative list (Maybe a sticky) for all future reference, your help in this matter will be most appreciated, at the moment I have AVG, & CCleaner running.

Yoda Knight 11:28 07 Apr 05

Strange, last night I was thinking of starting this same thread !
Here we go then:

Adaware: click here
Spybot: click here
AVG: click here
Zone Alarm: click here
MS Anti-Spyware: click here
Trend Micro Online scan: click here
Symantec Online scan: click here

pauldonovan 11:30 07 Apr 05

and startup control panel (mike lin) ...they are simple and effective.

Also use AVG and the hardware firewall on my ADSL router.

Winpatrol monitors anything adding itself to your startup, or changing your hosts file, or messing with your IE settings. Which covers a whole host of meanies.

Yoda Knight 11:41 07 Apr 05

Firefox: click here

Yoda Knight 11:44 07 Apr 05

BartPE: click here

Most usefull recovery tool ever ! Bootable cd version of Windows with plugins for most of the software u need (most of which will feature on this list !)

Indigo 1 12:07 07 Apr 05

I would add a subscription to the Langa List click here as it has a downloadable and searchable knowledge base.

Indigo 1 12:29 07 Apr 05

Here is an comprehensive list from "The Langa List" click here

Simsy 12:37 07 Apr 05

AntiVirus protection,

A backup routine that you understand and perform,

and my chosen method is to keep system and data on seperate partitions, which enables a system partion image, ("Drive Image" in my case), to be kept, whcih enables a swift and thorough restoration to a good condition in the event of significant problems.

peter4076 13:25 07 Apr 05

Wish to thank everybody so far for their input, some interesting websites to be delved into, I forgot to add that I also do a complete backup ( Acronis True Image ver 8 ) every month, and my outlook express every couple of weeks, I also use RegSeekeer every couple of months, and everything seems to run fine, I use M$$ firewall, is Zonealarm that much better considering it is free!!.
Also have downloaded SpyBlaster 3.3 (not yet installed) is that worth percervering with.

GroupFC 13:32 07 Apr 05

"Also have downloaded SpyBlaster 3.3 (not yet installed) is that worth percervering with" Yes!

Yoda Knight 13:39 07 Apr 05

"I use M$$ firewall, is Zonealarm that much better considering it is free!!. "

Matter of preference really. I like to think that Zonealarm would be better as they concentrate all their efforts on their firewall as opposed to MS who concentrate all their efforts on bankrupting us ! I also like the interface and control I have over what blocked and not blocked

Another good app is Easy Cleaner registry cleaner from Toni Arts click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…