defender and windows update not updating- trojan?

john the scone 08:39 13 Aug 10

hi there, recently got message that windows defender out of date although set up for automatic updates. didi it manually and all ok but keeps coming up so having to download definitions manually as it never completes its own updates when i click 'check for updates now'. now getting message, ' windows cant check for updates' when it has updated. again clicking 'check updates now' never finishes checking. been no problems previously and i've not changed anything recently. using avira antivir personal which is up to date but found nothing and malwarebytes anti malware which found trackers and deleted them. read that might have a trojan bho.dll but not found anything. any help much appreciated.
2.1ghz core2duo, 2gig ram,vista 32bit home premium, all spacks and up to date.

birdface 10:06 13 Aug 10

You could try switching off automatic update. then reboot and then try downloading them manually and see if that works.
if not switch automatic update back on and try again.

Or go into services and make sure Windows update is set to automatic.

john the scone 11:22 13 Aug 10

thanks for reply, but all automatic updates are turned on, its like the message contradicts my settings! can download manually but that doesn't stop message from returning. you cany re install defender as built into vista.

birdface 17:50 13 Aug 10

Never had Vista so can't comment.
I don't suppose it gives you the option of repair in add remove.
That of course was for w/defender.

T0SH 19:06 13 Aug 10

The easy fix for windows defender is to install Microsoft Security Esentials, it will disable defender and takes over most if not all of its roles so no more update problems

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017