Defender Hijack Report

muddypaws 20:15 29 Jun 06

Frequently I get a Windows Defender report stating ' Possible Host File Hijack'. There is no other information supplied other than 'medium threat' and the option to ignore/ remove etc. In the last two hours it has appeared three times and I have removed the threat each time. Is this a fault with MSD? I know I can switch WD monitoring off, but that seems a bit pointless.
Also what is a host file hijack?
Win. SP2, NAV. Spysweeper.
Thanks.

VoG II 20:20 29 Jun 06

This explains the hosts file click here

A hosts file hijack I presume is something trying to add or delete an entry from it.

You can look at your hosts file by going to

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

finding hosts (there is no file extension), right click > Open with, use Notepad.

Jackcoms 20:22 29 Jun 06
  muddypaws 20:40 29 Jun 06

Thanks VoG and Jackcoms.
So it seems that it is probably spurious. I have never noticed any adverse effect on the odd occasion I have selected ' ignore'. I think the last warning was after a Spysweeper definition update which according to one of those links might cause it. Or did I mis-read it. Was a bit involved for a 'bear with little brain!'

Jackcoms 20:51 29 Jun 06

It's my understanding that the Hosts File hijack report in Defender is similar to the 'Tea Timer' report in SpyBot which reports any attempts to change the registry (usually when other programs are changed, updated or removed).

IMHO Tea Timer is more advanced than Defender because it gives you the option to accept or reject the changes as well as giving full details of which program is trying to make the changes and to which parts of the registry.

muddypaws 20:54 29 Jun 06

Jackcoms. Thanks. Will mark as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…