defective floppy drive

pado 21:05 23 Oct 03

I am very much a novice and if my problem has a patently obvious answer I apologise for wasting time. If anyone can help please treat me gently - I am still learning basics. I hope I have supplied all the information necessary.

I have a used IBM 600E laptop with XP Pro and Internet Explorer installed. When I try, via the external floppy drive, to "save" it shows

A:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of a I\O device error.

If I try to "save" using the built in floppy drive, I go through -save (or save as)- floppy- but when I click "save" it says:

Please insert disk into drive A

Which of course I have. I have tried removing and replacing the disk and also clicking the save again but nothing happened.

On one try, it not only didn't save but it appears to have wiped off information already on the floppy. I certainly can't access it.

Thank you for any advice.
Pado

Gman 21:14 23 Oct 03

Try another floppy disk as the one your using may be damaged.

pado 15:17 16 Nov 03

I received just one response to my appeal (try a different disk) which unfortunately was not the answer and don't feel that I am likely to get any more. I would like to thank everyone who looked at my appeal but I will need to try and solve my problem elsewhere.
Pado

VoG II 15:29 16 Nov 03

So if I unserstand correctly, you have 2 floppy drives and Windows calls both of them "A". That sounds odd to me.

Have you looked in Device Manager? Start, Control Panel/System, Hardware tab, Device Manager button.

anchor 15:58 16 Nov 03

Does your laptop have its own floppy drive, and are you trying also to use an external one?.

Like VoG, I am a little confused.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…