Default Windows File Conversion Not Working

LLouca 12:00 21 Apr 15

When I try to download/open/print a document that has been emailed to me, windows attempts to open it in Word, then comes up with the File Conversion Box. No matter what I select, Default or something else off the list, it still opens in random symbols.

1) How do I stop it opening in Word - can you set it to open up automatically in the correct programme?

2) Why doesn't the default option work?

I've only had this problem for the last couple of weeks, it's like some setting somewhere has been changed that I'm unaware of?

It makes no difference what I try to open/download/print, it could be an invoice from a supplier, a brochure that's been emailed - I just can't get it to open straight away without all this happening?

Any help will be gratefully received! Thanks

rdave13 14:18 21 Apr 15

Do you have a PDF reader? These documents might be PDF so if you go to control panel, default programs, set associations (Associate a file type or protocol with a program) then let it populate. Scroll down to .pdf , left click and then select the Change program.. tab top right. You should get a pop-up with choices and a link for more options. Select your PDF reader.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…