default window

the spook 10:00 07 Aug 03

How can I change the default window that a program opens up, eg: if the program opens up my documents as a default, how can I change it to open up a folder that I created, as a default.

xania 10:46 07 Aug 03

Many programs, such as MS Word have an <Options> facility, usually under the Tools drop down menu. You will find the ability to change file locations here.

If you don't find your answer here, please indicate what programs and I will see if I can locate a specific answer for you.

the spook 14:18 09 Aug 03

When I download something off the web it seems to default to my documents but I have created another folder that I need to default too, just to save me searching for the folder each time.
Cheers

Djohn 14:32 09 Aug 03

You can make a new folder, either in your "MY Documents" or direct to the C drive, Name it, "Downloads" [Original :o)].

First time you now save a program from the web, a window will open asking you if you want to open the file or save it! Choose "Save". You will now be given a choice of where to save it to.

From the drop-down menu find your new folder, click on it and then click on save, the download will go direct that folder. Do the same next time, and you will find that windows will associate downloads with this new folder, and will in future offer you this as the first choice. j.

VoG II 14:33 09 Aug 03

If you create a folder within My Documents, once you've pointed a download in the right direction once, it should learn to go there.

I've very imaginatively called mine My Documents\Downloads

VoG II 14:34 09 Aug 03

... and typed more as well. LOL.

Djohn 14:38 09 Aug 03

Only because I started to type the answer at 1pm :o)

the spook 14:43 09 Aug 03

The folder is created on my second drive, if for example I am looking at a picture and I want to save it as soon as I hit save it will default to my pictures in my documents, I need it to default to the folder I have created on my second drive.

krypt1c 14:46 09 Aug 03

Why not try a download manager such as download accelerator plus. You can then direct downloads to any directory you nominate. You can even set up discrete directories for different types of downloads i.e. software, video etc
click here

Djohn 14:51 09 Aug 03

If your second drive is named "D" for example. when you are first given the option to download/save a file/program, then a window should appear on your screen. At the top of this window there will be a smaller window showing the name of your drive/s. Choose your second drive, then point to the new folder you have made on that drive. From there follow the advice from VoG and myself as above. j.

the spook 15:57 09 Aug 03

Tried That, but it just defaults back to my documents the next time I try to download.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac