Default User login

Zeltine 17:37 01 Mar 04

Thanks if you can help in advance..
I am running Win2kpro, which reg_key is it to set up local user logins, i.e I can disable remembering last user login, but which key is it to setup the system to remember a default username? If that is not very clear, what I am trying to say is, at the login box how can I add a default user name..
Thanks,
Ian

hugh-265156 17:58 01 Mar 04

you wish to change your username displayed when the logon screen appears yeah?

are you the administrator? if you are click here and back up anything you wish to keep.

click start/control panel/user accounts and create a new user account(make it an administrator account with a name of your choosing)

delete your old account.

Zeltine 19:56 01 Mar 04

Thanx huggyg71, but what I am actually needing is to have a certain users name to be automatically placed in the users name in the login box, I am running a small network for a charity, and the users need as much help as possible. I am the administrator, but they log in as regular users, to aid them in their logging in, I would like to have "user account#1" appear so that they only have to remember their password.

hugh-265156 02:49 02 Mar 04

i have only dabbled a bit with a friends laptop running w2k so im not really sure sorry.

w2k should remember and display the last successful login name in the name box i think?

the user should only have to enter their username and password once and then just the password each time after that.unless you were the last to login.

i think.

temp003 09:22 02 Mar 04

I may be wrong, but I don't think there is a direct way of doing what you want. It's either last user name or no user names at all.

A workaround I can think of is using the message title and message text for the logon screen (or rather before the logon screen appears).

Group Policy, Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, Security Options. Double click "Message text for users attempting to log on", and type in the message you want. OK. Do the same, if necessary, for the Message title.

These are usually used for legal notices and warning messages, but you can type anything you want to suit your needs.

For example, title could be Instructions for logging on.

Message text could be: Choose from the list of user names: username1 username2. Click OK below to see the logon screen.

Not ideal, but may help.

I wonder if Tweak UI has this function on offer.

Or maybe someone else has a better idea.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…