default setting for frames in MS Word

davethebike 17:22 08 Feb 03

By default, MS Word always draws a frame around text.
How can I change the default settings to prevent a frame being drawn?
I remember seeing this in the mag once, but never kept the article.

jazzypop 17:36 08 Feb 03

It depends slightly on which version of Word you are using, but basically the process is the same for any shape, frame etc.

Draw the frame, set the properties as you like (using the right-click shortcuts) then either choose 'set as default' from the frame's Properties menu, or right-click and choose 'Set Autoshape defaults'.

For this to be remembered next time you open Word, you have to save the changes to

davethebike 17:55 08 Feb 03

Using Word 97 SR2.
Insert text box doesn't give me a "properties" setting.
I can change the outline to cler, but don't seem to have the facility to force it to default to that from then on.

jazzypop 18:33 08 Feb 03

"When you insert a text box into your document, Word makes some assumptions about how that text box should appear. By default, the text box includes a border. If you normally remove the border, you may be wondering how you can instruct Word to not include the border, by default.

Well, there is good news and there is bad news. The good news is that you can instruct Word to not include the border by default. Just follow these general steps:

1. Insert a text box into your document.
2. Format the text box as desired.
3. When the text box looks just like you want it, right-click on the text box. Word display a Context menu.
4. Choose Set AutoShape Defaults from the Context menu.

Now, whenever you create a text box, it will have the formatting attributes you specified. This affects every text box you create in the current document. If you want all new text boxes, in all documents, to be affected, then open the file and perform the above steps. (You can delete the text box from the file after performing the steps.)

Now for the bad news. Word considers a text box just another AutoShape. Thus, the formatting you set as default in step 4 will affect all the other AutoShapes you place in your document. If you only use text boxes, this isn't a big deal. If you use all sorts of other AutoShapes, then it can be a big drawback. You will need to analyze your needs and make your decisions accordingly."

Source : click here

davethebike 20:36 08 Feb 03

Thanks for that. I still can't see how I can set the auto shape defaults, but the warning that it changes all the auto shapes means I shan't bother!

Peter E 21:02 08 Feb 03

...or perhaps I am the one who misunderstands.

Anyway, do you mean when you open a new document in Word, the text has a "frame" around it? If so, you have "Text Boundaries" switched on when in Page Layout View (Print Layout View in W 97). Select Tools - Options - View and remove the tick from Text Boundaries in the Print and Web Layout options.

Please ignore this if I have misunderstood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…