Default mail client

Fleetblue 19:56 31 May 06

Recently on a couple of occasions when I have been on a site with an "email us" link, when I click on the link I have received a message saying "could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed". I then get up to 50 "Action Cancelled" pages opening. I have tried using Internet Explorer - Tools - Internet Options - Programs but when I try to enter an option using the drop-down facility nothing happens. I cannot type anything into the email box and no options appear. Can anyone help?

ade.h 20:06 31 May 06

Do all browsers trigger this anomaly, or is it just IE?

Charlie Babbage 20:09 31 May 06

Are you able to send a standard email and, if so, do you use Outlook Express, Outlook or some other mail client?

Your answer may assist someone else to solve your problem.

VCR97 21:32 31 May 06

I get the same problem on almost every occasion when I use an e-mail link in a web-site or in an e-mail. No problem with normal e-mail. My system freezes for two or three minutes before producing the 50 or so pages. XP Home/IE6/OE6. I no longer try to use these links; it's less trouble simply to type the address.

Hope that you don't mind me barging in on your thread, Fleetblue.

Fleetblue 23:18 31 May 06

Charlie Babbage: I can send and receive emails via hotmail it's only when I access an "email us" link from a site that I have this problem.
ade.h: The only browser I use is Microsoft Internet Explorer.
VCR97: Don't mind you joining in at all. As a matter of fact I've been doing the same as you. But I'd just like to get to the bottom of this.
Thanks all.

johnnyrocker 23:36 31 May 06

i find it difficult to post a helpful solution without knowing your os and mail client. ( i have a couple of ideas but they might be as good as a chocolate teapot without more info)

CLONNEN 07:22 01 Jun 06

It sounds like you haven't set up an email address on your computer in Outlook Express. When you click on an "Email Us" link on a webpage it looks for a LOCAL email client (eg. Outlook Express) on your computer.

Double-click the Outlook Express icon on your Desktop and follow the prompts to set up an email address with POP and SMTP settings, password etc. You can get these settings from your ISP.

Then if you go to Internet Explorer - Tools - Internet Options - Programs it should say Outlook Express as your default Email.

CLONNEN 07:29 01 Jun 06

ISPs (Dial-Up AND Broadband) would have given you an email address, password and all the POP / SMTP settings when you first signed up for internet access.

If you have lost the information try going to your ISP's website (eg. if you are with Supanet go to, login to your Webmail account and try hunting through the Help section for the POP / SMTP settings for using your email address for sending / receiving in Outlook Express.

Fleetblue 14:36 01 Jun 06

Thanks everyone for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…