Decisions decisions!!

huwjones 18:11 07 Jan 05

Evening all,

I have a big headache at the moment and I was wondering if anyone could provide some advice!

I have a HP pavilion that used to run a 2.6 Celeron, a number of months ago I upgraded to a 2.8 P4. This has never worked to its full potential and the BIOS shows it as a 2.8 running at half the speed! HP haven't been able to fix this problem.

Anyway - I decided that a new motherboard will fix the problem and I settled on an Abit A17. Problem is that we'll have broadband here soon so I'll need 2 PC's so before buying the MoBo I made a list of what I'd need, this came to - MoBo, graphics card, windows XP, SATA HDD (2 off maybe) and I'd need a new case.

A bloke at work made a good suggestion of Ebaying everything I have and start from fresh! If I buy another MoBo, I'll have the 2.6 celeron and its MoBo spare, so I thought I'd use them as the second PC.

I just can't think of what to do - sometimes I wonder if it'd be easier just walking into PC world and buying a whole new system!!

I'd be very grateful of any assistance!

Huw

Noelg23 18:27 07 Jan 05

whatever u do dont go into PC World...do as your mate suggests, get a new PC built...go to click here and buy PC parts from there and off u go...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:36 07 Jan 05

Physically putting a PC together is like playing with LEGO. The satisfaction of doing it yourself is great.

If the parts are compatible then there will be no problems in getting it running. Somewhere like crucial.com will show you what is compatible with your board.

Help and advice is available here and lots of other places on the web.

Build your own PC
Videos click here
Info click here

LeadingMNMs 19:16 07 Jan 05

Or buy the latest issue o PC Advisor for a guide.

huwjones 20:02 07 Jan 05

Many thanks for the replies everyone!

I of course have bought the latest issue of PC advisor, along with Computer Shopper with it's handy Processoer mega test. The article in PC advisor was useful, but I'm unsure as to what spec I should settle on - what part would benefit me most etc!

Has anyone had any experience with the Abit A17? I've roead in one place that it's an excellent board, but I can't find any independent tests or verdicts.

Looks like the Nvidia 6600GT is the graphics card to go for, but I don't know if I should buy a PCIEx version - and get an Athlon 64 + MoBo while I'm upgrading!

I suppose I need to speak to a level headed PC builder for pointers. I have a habit of buying equipment that turns out to have a short shelf life or limited use (like the Nvidia 5700LE I bought recently!)

Thanks again for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…