Decent laptop for gaming under £700

jam4s 11:46 25 Oct 10

Hey, I've been looking for a laptop under the £700 mark. Whilst I obviously don't want a super extreme gaming rig (because if I did I'd most probably have to up my price range.) but something that can hold its own with most of the latest releases on medium settings.

4gb ram would be about the minimum and I'm not too sure on i5 or a dual core. Advice? Thanks.

One that has caught my eye so far...
click here

Thanks.

jam4s 11:48 25 Oct 10

Side note also. The NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 420M graphics card on the laptop I linked worries me slightly.
Any better ideas out there. Thanks again.

GaT7 14:50 25 Oct 10

Will depend on the games you'll be playing & in-game settings ('eye candy'). Don't worry about the CPU & RAM. Both will be fine on the majority of laptops that have dedicated graphics (GPU). Most games these days are more GPU-driven, so buy a laptop with the best GPU you can get for your budget.

For a start, have a look at these links - they are laptops GPU performance/benchmarks with respect to various games: click here, click here & click here.

As you can see, the GT 240M lies in the middle of 4th tier of the GPU list in the 1st link above (or click here). Its performance isn't too bad. I've the desktop equivalent which I'm quite satisfied with - doesn't require separate PSU power & plays older games like Far Cry with a reasonable CPU+RAM on MAX settings. So, as I said before, it'll depend on the games you play & their settings. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…