Death by computer Faliure

juniorsplat 21:42 20 Feb 07

Often (including just now) my computer decides to restart itself for no reason. It is infuriating. There has been neither a power cut, a power surge or anything that I have been doing to create this sudden reboot. Thank goodness for Auto save!
What is going on?
My computer is old (hp pavilion 730.uk) but is that the reason for restarting?

woodchip 21:54 20 Feb 07

not enough info

Susie blue 21:56 20 Feb 07

Is it too obvious to suggest virus scan?

rdave13 21:59 20 Feb 07

Over heating? Check temps click here . Or it could be ram failing click here

phono 22:02 20 Feb 07

Have you checked for overheating? If you PC is old it may well have accumulated a lot of dust and fluff in the CPU heatsink, drastically reducing air flow, I have seen this happen on more that one occasion and a good "spring clean" did the trick.

The usual warnings about static electricity and tampering with the inside of a computer etc etc apply.

phono 22:02 20 Feb 07

I must take typing lessons.

Diversion 22:03 20 Feb 07

Have you checked to see if the ventilation holes are clear from dust at the back of the computer?, and check the fans are all working too. Dust is a main cause of overheating and checking the vent holes only takes a few minutes.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:12 20 Feb 07

Auto-reboot disable:
When Running windows and it crashes you will get a blue screen and it will automatically restart, often it will restart too fast for you to see the error message.
To disable auto restart on system failure, so you can see the error message.

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

phono 22:14 20 Feb 07

Good point, forgot about that.

rdave13 22:20 20 Feb 07

Sadly so must I..:( juniorsplat, it's a good idea to remove the panel from your PC and have a visual check inside. If it looks dusty then remove all the clogging dust. Obviously disconnect from the mains and earth yourself by placing both hands on a metal sink before attempting to do anything inside. I use small painters brushes to gently disturb the dust and hold a vacuume cleaner nozzle about six inches away.

woodchip 22:22 20 Feb 07

Looks like he as gone to bed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…