Dealing with Verbose Logging.

firegamp 12:06 26 Apr 08

I read a PCA letter about Verbose Logging some time ago, in which the writer was advised to get rid of this Microsoft litter, which is apparently left behind when Security patches have been sent. Question(s): How do I find them on my XP Pro machine -- and having found them, how do I get rid of them? I'm told they build up into a space-hogging clutter. Firegamp.

MCE2K5 01:07 27 Apr 08

If I read what you are saying, I think the Writer is talking about this,

C:\Windows

and look for .log files starting with KB

i.e.

KB888795.log

KB893803v2.log

KB912024Uninst.log

KB947864-IE7.log

On my PC, 141 totalling 4.26 MEGS.

firegamp 12:50 27 Apr 08

Thanks, MCE2K5! Followed your advice. Used Search, with KB in box 1 and .log in box 2. Found 101 files, totalling 12.7 KB. For safety, copied them temporarily to Memory Stick before committing originals to Eraser's tender care. Nothing unexpected has happened. Thanks again. By the way, point taken about writing PC, not "XP Pro Machine". What you might call verbose (b)logging?

ashdav 20:33 28 Apr 08

I think you are referring to the uninstall Hotfix/update packages from MS.
Once the updates have been installed there is the option to uninstall them and files are written to your computer to enable you to do this but in my experience this has never arisen.
You can therefore remove the uninstall files from your computer.
See click here and click on the download (highlighted in blue).
You need to extract the file as it is zipped.
It will not install on your computer but it removes any hotfix/update removal files.

ashdav 20:36 28 Apr 08

Further to the above,any changes made by the updates will not be removed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…