Dead...surely not

Maelstrom 20:42 11 Sep 03

Ive recently started to piece together the bits and pieces of my first DIY PC and have been studying 3 books on the subject.

Although I knew it was there monitor radiation never really concerned me and now that im half blind im going to go out of pocket for a flat panel monitor. However ive heard that flat panel monitors suffer from 'dead pixel' problems and have trouble handling video files and fast games. So can any1 confirm or denounce this?
Have any of you had previous experiances or joy with Flat panel monitors?

Sketch 20:52 11 Sep 03

I have a 15" Iiyama and am over the moon with it.

Most have warranties that cover such 'dead pixel' issues for about 2-3 years and you can then opt to extend this cover if you need/want to.

I opted for a 15" due to the fact that they are surprisingly reasonable these days; and duelled with my Geforce FX 5600 Ultra and PowerDVD XP 4.0 I have never seen movies, or indeed such graphical masterpieces such as the GTA series look any sharper or more delightful to enjoy.

Take the plunge.

They also look, damn cool. :oP

(I'd steer cleer of the ones with speakers though, they are still in their 'gimic phase' and are entirely useless compared to proper sound systems.)

Text is also exquisitly sharp, a fact that is mostly tarnished by many LCD critics.

Good luck!

SketcH

Maelstrom 20:54 11 Sep 03

Thanks for the advice, looks like my bank balance will be a little slimmer this month ;)

Sketch 20:57 11 Sep 03

A digital input on your LCD is a must for perfect DVD image quality (not so much games), I had to settle for an analog (hence the price) because I'm a student. But it is still quite adaquate, and crisp.

If you can afford it: 17" Digital.

Of course, in order to enjoy movies in digital, you will also need graphics hardware capable of such an output.

I have found that games tend to look pretty fabulous on an analog screen, but DVD images do suffer a little.

SketcH

Sketch 21:00 11 Sep 03

Remid me never to use the words 'pretty' and 'fabulous' in quick succesion again....

They made me sound like Dale Winton.

*Shudder*

SketcH

Phil930 21:20 11 Sep 03

lol at Dale!!

Maelstrom 21:33 11 Sep 03

Ive found the perfect monitor but I cant get hold of it, can any1 recommend one?

Ironman556 21:55 11 Sep 03

I have one and wouldn't swap back to CRT.

Games are great, internet etc. is great. Comes with setup software for colours/brightness. My only complaint would be that DVD's don't look as good as on CRT displays when close up, but are still fine to watch.

The 1710B had both analogue and digital connections, so will work with your current PC if you don't have a digital output, and also with any PC you buy in the future. Doesn't have any speakers, but that's a bonus in my opinion.

click here

Maelstrom 16:21 12 Sep 03

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…