dead slow pc

duvat 15:35 12 Oct 06

could I wipe all data from compaq pc, I have the two compaq quick restore disks, Custom restore CD 1 & CD 2. My PC is very slow (I don't know if its the norton antivirus protection package, I downloaded online. Can anyone advise me please.
P.S. it states on the CD's-to restore system software to factory settings.

Graham. 15:56 12 Oct 06

You sure can. If you are happy to lose all your data.

Jackcoms 16:28 12 Oct 06

"I don't know if its the norton antivirus protection package, I downloaded online"

Norton is known to slow down PCs.

Did the slow down occur after installing Norton?

What have you done to solve the problem?

Have you cleaned out all crap files?

Have you defragged? Have you disabled start-up programs and 'background' programs which you don't need?

it_girl 18:44 12 Oct 06

Is it a PIII or Pentium 4.
Some Compaqs I'm afaid are real rubbish especially some PIII's.
Double check Device Manager to check that drivers are all happily loaded .
Personally I would never use Norton but that's me.
If you stay of OFF-line and exit Norton how is the performance when doing other tasks.

Good advice from Jackcoms ,especially in checking start-up programs START->RUN(type in MSCONFIG)->study START-UP tab.
There maybe some malware programs running.

Jackcoms 09:35 16 Oct 06

Via e-mail:

"sorry I'm late replying,I think my first reply was sent to wrong address,anyway I tried everything you suggested and deleted"crap" files that looked suspect?-not sure where I would find them anyway! sorry for being so stupid. PC has improved marginally but hangs for 3 or 4 minutes without warning. regards duvat"

Please do NOT use the yellow envelope to e-mail Forum members unless invited to do so. Apart from anything else it prevents others from following your thread.

Use click here to delete crap files and click here to help you decide which start-up and background programs can be disabled.

it_girl 10:11 16 Oct 06

"Please do NOT use the yellow envelope to e-mail Forum members unless invited to do so". True?

Jackcoms ,bit harsh and should you have revealed the contents on the open forum? No.

The chap e-mailed me to say thanks and I appreciated him taking the time to do so.
I do get members connecting me and I am willing and happy to receive their communications.So feel free to continue anyone.

Jackcoms 10:33 16 Oct 06

""Please do NOT use the yellow envelope to e-mail Forum members unless invited to do so". True?"

Yes. Look at the Forum rules under 'Forum Etiquette'; 'Private Messages'.

"should you have revealed the contents on the open forum?"

Why not? Are there any private secrets in there? How else are other Forum members going to follow the thread and provide help?

it_girl 13:23 16 Oct 06

Simply thank the chap and advise him to post his update onto the open forum.

In the sender's mind the communication was private,obvious as it clearly was a 'Private Message' he sent.

When I get a spare week I promise to fully study the Forum Rules.But,if I don't,then I'm sure that good manners and common sense will suffice.

MichelleC 15:39 16 Oct 06

Advanced Windows Care is an excellent freebie click here and it'll spped things up.

If you uninstall Nortons as suggested you'll see if this is the resource hogger.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…