Dead Printer

johndrew 20:28 17 Dec 10

I think my trusty Epson Stylus Photo 740 has gone to the great resting place in the sky (or wherever they go). It switched on as usual and the printer heads travelled across as they usually do but before they returned there was a dull 'thump' and all the lights came on with power and 'paper out' flashing. This apparently means 'fatal error'.

I have been looking around for a replacement - it is only used for general printing and the odd photo - but find most reasonably priced units are multi-function. I noted the Epson Stylus SX218 click here as being reasonably priced and wondered if anyone had any experience of it. I will of course take any other recommendations for a cheap(ish) printer only that has a small desktop footprint and is likely to fulfil my needs.

Many thanks for any help in anticipation.

chub_tor 22:00 17 Dec 10

How about this HP from Tesco click here good Revoo.

mooly 07:38 18 Dec 10

Must admit I like Epson's for the print quality. Mine is a "cheapy" too, a DX4050... it's been great.

Just a mention on cartridges as all the latest generation printers use cartidges that are "chipped" to discourage copies... and I found by experience that many so called compatables were nothing but trouble. The only brand I use now are Jettec which have been totally reliable,

click here

these also seem to be the ones available as "own brand" at Argos, Morrisons and Wilkinsons.
Look around and you can get them cheaply.

Woolwell 12:06 18 Dec 10

You have done well. My Epson 740 died a few years ago.

johndrew 13:45 18 Dec 10

All may not be quite lost. I have been reading the manual again and from the flowchart it is just possible the ink mat has caused this - provided it hasn't done anything else!!! It is the 'thump' that is most worrying.

Even so, this printer - basic as it is - has done me well but finding a similar replacement isn't quite so simple!!! And all I need is a basic printer to replace it; preferably without these annoying chipped cartridges.

johndrew 11:26 21 Dec 10

Dead printer given the kiss of life!!

As I mentioned above, I re-read the manual and found there was a chance I could recover my faithful Epson 740.

I stripped it and cleaned the ink pads - a dirty miserable job - I have the black hands to prove it. Whilst I was at it I cleaned as much of the mechanism as possible without removing the lubricants.

Having dried everything and re-assembled it all I tried to run it but it failed even after a re-set. I did several (perhaps I didn't do the initial ones correctly) and it came back to life. It appears to be printing as well as ever.

I am certain it is worn and needs some adjustments and I shall read up on these. But for now it works and I am pleased.

Moral here perhaps - dead electronics sometimes only need a little mechanical attention.

I shall keep in mind the advice given on alternative printers, however, as I feel nothing lasts for ever.

johndrew 11:33 21 Dec 10

Oh I should have said, the 'thump' is from the print head which now needs vertical adjustment to allow it to clear the chassis. I 'played' with the assembly but am not certain it is correctly set. Hopefully I shall not need special tools when the manual is consulted!!

961 11:42 21 Dec 10

The HP printer from Tesco is worth considering

Uses 2 print cartridges with the print head in the cartridge

Economical in use

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…