Dead Pixels

zzzgordon 22:32 30 Jan 03

I'm wanting to buy a TFT monitor - but I'm put off by the phrase 'dead pixels'.

If I buy a monitor with a 3 yr warranty does that cover dead pixels ? - I've seen CTX advertise a 101 day dead pixel guarantee but a three year warranty. - what if i get a dead pixel(s) after 6 months.

How often do pixels die ? - is it a normal occurence ?

goonerbill 23:56 30 Jan 03

no manufacturer of tft monitors can guarantee not to have any dead pixels. what happens is that if there is a dead cell on the monitor it will either be on or off (white or black), but there is a limit on the number of dead pixels a monitor can have before it is classed as faulty. the majority of tft monitors will have a dead pixel or 2. apart from ctx, i believe that someone else has a no dead pixel offer but you will pay a premium for these monitors. maybe someone else will give you more indepth info on tft monitors.

Cordy13 23:58 30 Jan 03

Up to 8 dead'uns is supposed to be acceptable!

grove34 00:08 31 Jan 03

i've got a proview bm780 17" and i haven't got 1 dead pixel at all

zzzgordon 00:12 31 Jan 03

so do pixels die one by one over a period of time ?

if i got one dead one when i buy can i assume in a couple of years i'll have 5 or 6 or more ?

grove34 09:06 31 Jan 03

mate of mine bought a sony 17" tft and paid £700 for it , when he turned it on it had 3 dead pixels right in the middle of the screen.

when he phoned the company , it told him that this was acceptable and he couldnt have a refund.

luckily the mail order company had a 7 day returns policy , so he could get his money back.

« Ravin » 09:27 31 Jan 03

having rarely used tft monitors what exactly happens when you have dead pixels ? a black spot ?

BrianW 09:41 31 Jan 03

Ravin, as Goonerbill explained a "Dead" pixel is either off or on. If off then you see a dark spot on the screen, if on a light spot (leastways, I think that's the way round). As to the number of dead pixels that are acceptable, I seem to remember there are two counts used: the total number of dead pixel and the number of adjacent pixels. I haven't seen a screen with dead pixels yet (I'm making no comment about mine, Murphy's about!). If you get one or more in the centre of the screen I imagine it could be annoying, but its probably at the same level as the wires you can see on some of the flat screen CRTs. There is a manufacturers standard that governs what is acceptable re: number and distribution of dead pixels.

BrianW 09:47 31 Jan 03

zzzgordon, this site may be of interest - click here

« Ravin » 09:47 31 Jan 03

ok thanks

BrianW 09:49 31 Jan 03

click doesnt seem to be working. The site is and has an interesting section on TFT panels

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…